Accounting and Finance Intern
Accounting and finance intern
Organization Mission: Oliver Scholars prepares high-achieving Black and Latinx students from underserved New York City communities for success at top independent schools and prestigious colleges. We provide crucial support for our Scholars so they can realize their full potential and ultimately give back to the city, the nation, and the world.
Position and Summary Reporting: Reporting to the Sr. Accountant, the Accounting and Finance Intern will directly assist Sr. Accountant with a wide range of projects related to accounting projects.
- Conducts routine data entry management for accounting records including accounts payable, American Express billing, and accounts receivable.
- Reviews billing statements, invoices, and similar documents for accuracy; alerts supervisory staff of any discrepancies.
- Assisting with research, filing, data entry, and recording and maintaining accurate and complete financial records
- Records Journal entries and verifies documentation for each entry
- Shadowing members of the accounting department as they perform their duties.
- Assisting with research, filing, data entry, and recording and maintaining accurate and complete financial records.
- Working with Accounting software.
- Handling sensitive or confidential information with honesty and integrity.
- Learning how to work as part of the accounting team to compile and analyze data, track information, and support the organization.
- Taking on additional tasks or projects to learn more about accounting and office operations.
- Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related major.
- Minimum 3.0 GPA
- Experience with Microsoft Office and Google Suites
- Must be enrolled in an accredited undergraduate program.
- Must be available for in person office hours based on office hybrid work schedule.
- Take initiative: Act on one’s own initiative; making the most of opportunities; undertaking tasks, even if it entails risk.
- Analytical: Understands complex information; making connections; drawing conclusions
- Creative: Coming up with new ideas, approaches or solutions
- Flexible: Manages to adapt if circumstances change
- Written communication: Is capable of communicating well in writing, even with people who communicate differently.
- Monitors outcomes: Regularly checks whether work is on schedule.
- Verbal communication: Understands others and being understood in verbal communication.
- Teamwork: Work well with others and thrive in a team environment
- Integrity: Submits finished work-product that meets your own high standards
- Commitment to excellence: Strives to do deliver your best work-product.
- Collaborative learner: Enjoys working with others to learn on the job.
Compensation: Stipend payment of $1,000
We are committed to ensuring our office and alternate educational and event locations are safe for employees and the constituents we serve. The policy of the organization requires all employees to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 to safeguard the health of our employees, visitors, partners, and the constituents we serve.
Oliver Scholars is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis (“protected class”) including, but not limited to veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.